June 30, 2011

The Little Things

     God has been teaching me so much over the past two weeks here in Kitale. I have   realized that the little things are what really matter in life, encourage and touch my heart, as well as minister to those in need. Even holding a little girl’s hand or help cleaning dishes after lunch are part of God’s ministry. He wants us to put others before ourselves in all things.



     The other day at Sister Frieda’s Hospital I was spending time at the baby class, which is the equivalent to kindergarten through second grade. The children were given a snack similar to malt-o-meal at their break when one of the boys accidentally dropped his full cup on the ground. He then proceeded to get on his hands and knees and eat it off the floor. The first thing that came to mind was, “What is he doing? The ground is so dirty…that’s disgusting.” But then I realized that this young boy was hungry and it is a fact of life for him. Dirt does not bother him, and if he is hungry, he is willing to do anything to fill his tummy. This idea is shocking in American culture; if we are hungry we walk into the kitchen…we would never lick food off the ground.



     Children in Shimo (a community of slums) and Kitale have been showing a new infection on their heads and bodies that start as a small pimple like thing, which burst and turn into giant scabs that cover their heads. This infection has been spreading all across town and more and more kids have been getting it. It is scary, to say the least, and is not very appealing to the eye, and we have been very worried about it. For the past two days we have been bathing the children at Discover to Recover and scrubbing the scabs off using gloves, warm water, soap, anti-septic, and a washcloth. For some of the kids it went smoother than for others. One of the little girls who have a pretty bad case began to sob while getting her head scrubbed. It was so awful to witness, everything in me wanted to save her from her pain and sadness. I know that God has a plan and that He will heal them on His own time, but I pray that He will cure it now. I hate seeing the children in pain. All we can do is use medicine and pray that it will work.

     I feel like I have been sensing God’s presence more and more each day. When I read the Word I feel so rejuvenated and excited to live a life like Jesus did. I love hearing great stories about what He did when he lived on Earth. Luke has some amazing stories of how He healed and showed His love to all the people. Thank you, God for sending Your one and only son to die on the cross for our sins so that we may live for eternity with You in heaven. That in itself is beyond me. You are so great, indescribable. 


No comments:

Post a Comment